- March 12, 1940 - Finland signs a peace treaty with Soviets.
- April 9, 1940 - Nazis invade Denmark and Norway.
- May 10, 1940 - Nazis invade France, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands; Winston Churchill becomes British Prime Minister.
- May 28, 1940 - Belgium surrenders to the Nazis.
- June 3, 1940 - Germans bomb Paris.
- June 10, 1940 - Norway surrenders to the Nazis; Italy declares war on Britain and France.
- June 14, 1940 - Germans enter Paris.
- June 15, 1940 - The Franco-British Federation is formed,allowing the French Republic to operate in exile.
- Aug 1940 - Congress appropriates $16 billion for defense needs, and enacts the first peacetime draft in American history.
- Sep 27, 1940 - Responding to embargoes imposed by the United States, Japan joins the German-Italian coalition.
- Jun 22, 1941 - Germany invades the Soviet Union violating the Nonaggression Pact.
- Dec 7, 1941 - Japanese fighter planes attack the American base at Pearl Harbor, destroying U.S. aircraft and naval vessels, and killing 2,355 U.S. servicemen and 68 civilians.
- Dec 11, 1941 - Germany and Italy, Japan's axis partners, declare war on the United States. The United States declares war on Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- Sep 8, 1943 - The Italian government officially surrenders to the Allied powers; still, German forces occupy much of Italy.
- Jun 4, 1944 - Rome falls to Allied forces.
- Jun 6, 1944 - D-Day: The first of nearly 3 million Allied soldiers arrive in Normandy, on the northern shores of France.
- Aug 25, 1944 - U.S. forces, aided by a French division, liberate Paris from Nazi control.
- Apr 28, 1945 - Italian insurgents capture Mussolini, murder him, and mutilate his body.
- May 1, 1945 - Adolf Hitler commits suicide in his Berlin bunker.
- May 2, 1945 - The German army signs an unconditional surrender.
- Aug 6, 1945 - The United States drops an atomic bomb—the first to be used in warfare—on Hiroshima, killing 75,000 people instantly, and injuring more than 100,000.
- Aug 9, 1945 - A second atomic bomb is dropped in Nagasaki.
- Sep 2, 1945 - A formal surrender ceremony is conducted in Tokyo Bay on the U.S. battleship Missouri. World War II officially ends.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.